Over the past few weeks, I have been preparing quiches and sharing with friends to get feedback. And the key thing I came across is some of them did not know what a Quiche is.
Some Interesting facts
- A Quiche is a savoury, open-faced pastry crust with a filling of savoury custard with one or more of cheese, meat, seafood or vegetables.
- Quiche lorraine (named after the Lorraine region of France) is a popular variant.
- A Quiche can be served hot or cold.
- Although quiche is now considered a classically French dish, it actually originated in Germany.
- The word ‘quiche‘ is from the German word ‘kuchen’, meaning cake
I prefer vegetarian quiches as vegetables add alot more flavour to the dish. This can be eaten for breakfast as well as for tea time. And I also use full fat milk and cut out the cream in this version.
This is my recipes for a Veggie delight which has blanched spinach, caramalised onions, sauteed mushrooms and an egg-cheese custard.
For the Pastry Shell
For the Filling
For the Egg Custard
1.Roll out the pastry sheet into a pie pan. I use the ones with a removable base as is the quiche/ baked shell slides out quite easily. With a fork make few holes at the bottom. This is to help the pastry cook all the way through
Click here for a step by step video on making this short crust pastry. Tip: You can always leave out the egg.
2. Line the shell with parchment paper and fill with cooking beans or any heavy bean. This is so that the pastry holds it shape when baking and does not rise. Bake in the pre-heated oven for about 20mins in 200° c.
3. This is what the shell looks like after about 20mins. If you need to brown it further or the pastry looks a little under done, remove the beans and parchment paper and bake it for a further 20min at 200° c.
4. For the caramelised onions: Slice onions [2nos] finely. Heat oil in a pan a pan. . Add the sliced onions and a pinch of salt. The salt helps to draw out the water and the sugar helps in the caramelisation. Let the onions cool and line the bottom of the quiche with a layer of these onions.
5. Mushroom prep: Slice the mushrooms . Take 1 tsp oil and 1 tsp butter in a pan. Add the crushed and chopped garlic. Once the rawness of the garlic disappears, add the sliced mushrooms and cook till you get a nice brownish colour. Line the cooled down mushrooms over the onions.
6. Spinach Prep: I used 1 cup baby spinach. But normal spinach will also do. Boil water and add the spinach to the water for about 5 mins. Once wilted, remove to a cold water bath. Squeeze out the excess water from the spinach and pat dry with a kitchen towel. Next add this beautiful green spinach on top of the mushrooms
7. I had some bocconcini in the fridge and hence used it in this recipe. Slice the cheese and place on top of the filling. You can skip this step and directly add grated cheese to the custard (next step)
8. Combine all the ingredients listed under “for the custard” and beat well. Pour the custard into the shell. Do not fill right to the top edges as the custard with over pour when baking and you quiche will be ruined. Bake for 25-30mins at 200°C.
Traditional the custard for the quiche also included cream. But we can skip that as the end result without the cream is equally delicious.
9. After about 25mins check on the quiche. The custard should be set and jiggly. Leave to cool on a rack. Once cooled remove from the tin and serve
- Once the pastry shell is rolled out and lined in the tart tin, place it in the fridge to cool down. Since the short crust pastry has butter it gets kinda melty with handling. Also doing this helps with getting a crunchy baked shell.
- The shortcrust pastry I made does not have egg. I used 100gms flour, 60gms cubed butter. Pulse till it resembles breadcrumbs. Add 2 tsp of ice cold water. Pulse for one round more. Press the mixture between your fingers to see if it comes together. If not, add another tsp of chilled water. Empty the crumbs onto cling film. Knead for a minute. Make into a circular shape and flatten it. Cover with cling film and refrigerate for 30mins.
- To save time, prepare the onions, mushrooms and spinach while the pastry is blind baking.
- For the custard ingredients should all be at room temperature.
- Other versions of the quiche are ham & mushrooms; chicken & corn; tomato & basil.